Skip to main content

Rounding up 2020; Easing into 2021

2020 is incredibly hard to describe for anyone. It is like we were somehow jolted into an alternate reality that we didn't know existed. I am aware it must have an extremely stressful year for many who had to cope with sweeping changes, financial difficulties, health issues, and loss of near and dear ones. Praying for the souls of those who lost their lives and hopeful that 2021 gives us the strength to face what lies ahead.

What 2020 was for me:

My 2020 has thankfully not been as stressful as many, and I have much to be grateful for. While it was a rollercoaster, the entire year had so many phases to it, each giving a new perspective to life. In 2019, I had no idea that I would have soon started my MBA at London Business School in the middle of a pandemic, moved out of Mumbai shuttling between cities and continents, lived in a joint family / back-to-student-flatmate life, started cooking among other things. 

There was initially the 'Zen' phase at work where I knew I needed change and was very focused on my MBA application and job change to get by the wait for B-school results! I was most productive and calm at work during that phase. On looking back, I find it unbelievable that we went to Shirdi in 2020! 

Then there was the 'lockdown' phase, where like many urban nuclear families in India (fully acknowledging the class privilege here apologies), we struggled to cope with 2 toddlers and work from home without domestic help. But to me that was a great phase that forced more family time on people like us who would never otherwise spend so much time together physically with our busy schedules. In fact, I somehow feel this is how life was 'meant to be' in the 'good old days'. It's a good reminder to be content and take it slow sometimes. 

Then there was the 'MBA excitement phase', with hyperactive networking to compensate for potentially virtual MBA, and initial studiousness about the course, determined to not miss out on anything! Then we moved to Hyderabad, and there was the 'joint family' phase, which was again a sweet reminder of how 'good old days' were meant to be, with love, people and compromises, making the lockdown look like something to be totally not bothered about. COVID somehow changes priorities and it is more important to spend time with parents and family now than before, the stress bringing us together.

Then I moved to London, which felt like the 'back to school phase' as I was sharing flat with another student, and was more in the company of younger people at a different phase in life. It helped bring in some of the younger energy, positivity, and excitement into me - very useful! Being a mother and staying away from family made me feel like I could experience a lot of leisure and freedom again! Back in India, I guess now I am in the 'reflecting' phase looking back :) And the look on my kids' face when I am back was totally worth it! We forget to count our blessings often!

I am thankful for everything in 2020, and that my family has recovered from COVID (Thank God, touchwood!)

Lessons from 2020:

1. Family matters.

2. We take too much for granted.

3. Sometimes slow-paced life is content.

4. We forget to count our blessings.

5. Life doesn't go 'as per plan', but we still make the best of it anyway.

6. The things we think are most pressing to us today, become irrelevant when the situation changes.

7. We are more resilient than we think.

8. Our priorities have been totally wrong in our hectic schedules previously.

9. We need very limited resources to be happy.

10. Last, but not least, time is precious! We don't realize that we should make the best of it when we have it.

My new year resolutions for 2021:

1. Experiment more on everything. Don't be afraid to try out new things.

2. Be more grateful about life and give more time to spirituality.

3. Spend less time dreaming, more on acting on your dreams - Put your ideas into action.

Thanks for being my loyal readers! Enjoy the rest of 2021. I know this post came last, but you know me - As always, with love :x :x

Edit: After the great start, India went into COVID 2nd wave which I blogged about here.  But we managed to pull through and have a hopeful start to 2022.

Related posts:

1. New year resolutions - To 2022 - link

2. Aahista chal zindagi - A new year treat - link

3. Happy new year - link

4. Living through the nightmare - COVID second wave in India - link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aahista chal zindagi - A new year treat

As a new year treat, I am sharing this beautiful poem written by an anonymous poet. I actually came across it on Whatsapp during last new year when it was being circulated. The forward says it's written by Gulzar but I couldn't trace any source to confirm this, and any original source to link this to, so I am just pasting it here - It doesn't matter who wrote it. It is as beautiful as it is touching: Aahista chal zindagi, abhi kai karz chukana baaki hai Kuch dard mitana baaki hai, kuch farz nibhana baaki hai Raftaar mein tere chalne se kuchh rooth gaye, kuch chhoot gaye Roothon ko manana baaki hai, roton ko hasana baki hai Kuch hasraatein abhi adhuri hain, kuch kaam bhi aur zaruri hai Kuch rishte ban kar toot gaye, kuch judte-judte chhoot gaye Un toote-chhoote rishton ke zakhmon ko mitana baki hai Tu aage chal main aata hoon, kya chhod tujhe ji paunga? In saanson par haqq hai jinka, unko samjhaana baaki hai Aahista chal zindagi, abhi kai karz chukana baki hai So how

Lechindi... nidra lechindi mahila lokam...

Lechindi.. nidra lechindi mahila lokam... These lines belong to one of the most popular songs of the old Telugu cinema, which are from the film 'Gundamma Katha' ( link ). The song is meant to be a spoof on the feminist movement which started in India before independence, basically about what the then generation perceived to be "role-reversal" ( which it is not - it is simply everyone having the freedom to define one's own 'role' ). I am currently watching the film and took a break to do this post. It would be utterly unfair for me to judge a movie of that time by current values/standards so I'm refraining myself. But I do want to write about how the people of that time (wrongly) understood what feminism and women empowerment were about. Admittedly, I'm not being very harsh as this song is a very beloved one in the Telugu heartland which comes from a very old time. It can be translated as something like this (I'm keeping only relevant parts

Guide to marital bliss - Find out what feminists fight against!!

If you've never really understood the evils of patriarchy ( link ), believing that feminists blow things out of proportion, may be you should open your eyes to this. Let me show you what's wrong. Below are the guidelines for women translated from a Telugu book on marital bliss which was being distributed at a wedding last week . We need to take this seriously - because our rituals are not evolving with our mindsets. The book advocates this code of conduct for today's women  to restore values in today's society of  Kalyug . We must not let anyone defend this sort of inhuman abuse under the name of Indian/Hindu culture/values . I'm giving scanned images of some of the guidelines along with the English translation of these guidelines. Adding my response to some of the guidelines  in red . 1. Every task performed by a wife must be upon the husband's order .  Are we talking about a wife or a slave here ? Or worse, the book doesn't see any need to