Skip to main content

Six things Mumbai does to non-Mumbaikaars

As a non-Mumbaikaar who happens to be a part-Hyderabadi and a part-Bangalorean, I found it a bit difficult to adjust to Mumbai initially. To speak the truth, I lived like a pampered princess in Bangalore :) Also, most of my social circle was in Bangalore so when I quit my old job and shifted to Mumbai, I couldn't help complaining a lot in the first few months. And then, 'Mumbai' happened... After you get through the cribbing, complaining and irritable phase, this is what Mumbai does to you:

1. You stop considering distance and time of the day as hindrances for travelling within the city. Seriously, name any time of the day or night: 11.00 / 12.00 / 3.00 / 5.00, you have travel options and places where you can hang out. I used to believe that the night life in Mumbai is overrated till I realized that I am so used to it now that I take it for granted! About the distance, yeah, Mumbai has a way of making you get off your lazy ass. You're still new to Mumbai and are overwhelmed by the distance factor? Don't worry, give it a year and you'll learn :)

2. You realize that there are a LOT of people in this world other than you :) I don't think I will hear any contradictions from anyone who has been to Mumbai on this one. If you even have the slightest hesitation, you should take the Mumbai metro with me next time... I actually think the crowds in Mumbai are addictive. Even though I crib about them all the time, I think I'll feel empty if I suddenly settle in a 'quiet' and 'secluded' place now.

3. At one point, you understand that money will never be enough. No matter how 'rich' you are, there will always be lots of people who are richer than you. Unless of course, you're someone like Ambani or Amitabh Bachchan. This is one thing which I like about Mumbai: I don't notice much of class privilege being exhibited. Probably due to the pearl of wisdom which I just quoted here: However rich you are, you are not rich enough. Money can't buy everything, and space in Mumbai is one of the things which even a hell lot of money can't buy!!

4. You learn how beauty is best meant to be appreciated: From a distance and when it is veiled :) Mumbai has one of the most beautiful landing sights from a plane among all the Indian cities, because of the sea during the day and the lights during night. But we know the un-prettiness that Mumbai actually is if you get closer. Really, Mumbai is at it's beautiful best at night...when it is fully lit up...when you can't see the dust and the slums. All the best roads in Mumbai are best because they are elevated, so that you can't look down and see the chaos around. Marine drive is pretty when you're driving on the road; the moment you get closer, you see all the crap people have thrown around :( So you learn to stop scrutinizing beauty closely, so that you appreciate the finer nuances of life...

5. You are simply not satisfied by any street markets you visit outside Mumbai because you know you get better and cheaper stuff here. Mumbai street markets are the best!! The realization dawned on me when I shopped in Goan markets and then shopped in Hill Road again :)

6. You notice that autos (and taxis) have meters which are actually used to bill customers :D Speaking as someone who stayed in Bangalore for 3 + years, this one is definitely a pleasant surprise.

I know all this sounds very rosy. I know what you are thinking: the dust, the pollution, the claustrophobia, the humidity, the sweat, the rains and it goes on and on and on. Yeah, yeah I get it. I am with you. But look at the brighter side. Here are some things which we non-Mumbaikaars who crib about Mumbai take for granted:

Travel options: Seriously, if you keep comfort factor aside, Mumbai has a whole lot of options to travel at any time. Mumbai is one city where you don't have to own a car to go out at 2.00 a.m. in the night without much hesitation.

Water: Again, only someone who stayed in Hyderabad and Bangalore for quite a few years will appreciate the value of access to soft water for drinking and domestic use :)

No power cut :) :) Should I say more? ***Happy dance***

Wish you a very pleasant stay in Mumbai!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aahista chal zindagi - A new year treat

As a new year treat, I am sharing this beautiful poem written by an anonymous poet. I actually came across it on Whatsapp during last new year when it was being circulated. The forward says it's written by Gulzar but I couldn't trace any source to confirm this, and any original source to link this to, so I am just pasting it here - It doesn't matter who wrote it. It is as beautiful as it is touching: Aahista chal zindagi, abhi kai karz chukana baaki hai Kuch dard mitana baaki hai, kuch farz nibhana baaki hai Raftaar mein tere chalne se kuchh rooth gaye, kuch chhoot gaye Roothon ko manana baaki hai, roton ko hasana baki hai Kuch hasraatein abhi adhuri hain, kuch kaam bhi aur zaruri hai Kuch rishte ban kar toot gaye, kuch judte-judte chhoot gaye Un toote-chhoote rishton ke zakhmon ko mitana baki hai Tu aage chal main aata hoon, kya chhod tujhe ji paunga? In saanson par haqq hai jinka, unko samjhaana baaki hai Aahista chal zindagi, abhi kai karz chukana baki hai So how

Lechindi... nidra lechindi mahila lokam...

Lechindi.. nidra lechindi mahila lokam... These lines belong to one of the most popular songs of the old Telugu cinema, which are from the film 'Gundamma Katha' ( link ). The song is meant to be a spoof on the feminist movement which started in India before independence, basically about what the then generation perceived to be "role-reversal" ( which it is not - it is simply everyone having the freedom to define one's own 'role' ). I am currently watching the film and took a break to do this post. It would be utterly unfair for me to judge a movie of that time by current values/standards so I'm refraining myself. But I do want to write about how the people of that time (wrongly) understood what feminism and women empowerment were about. Admittedly, I'm not being very harsh as this song is a very beloved one in the Telugu heartland which comes from a very old time. It can be translated as something like this (I'm keeping only relevant parts

Guide to marital bliss - Find out what feminists fight against!!

If you've never really understood the evils of patriarchy ( link ), believing that feminists blow things out of proportion, may be you should open your eyes to this. Let me show you what's wrong. Below are the guidelines for women translated from a Telugu book on marital bliss which was being distributed at a wedding last week . We need to take this seriously - because our rituals are not evolving with our mindsets. The book advocates this code of conduct for today's women  to restore values in today's society of  Kalyug . We must not let anyone defend this sort of inhuman abuse under the name of Indian/Hindu culture/values . I'm giving scanned images of some of the guidelines along with the English translation of these guidelines. Adding my response to some of the guidelines  in red . 1. Every task performed by a wife must be upon the husband's order .  Are we talking about a wife or a slave here ? Or worse, the book doesn't see any need to