Skip to main content

Understanding feminism, sexism and sexual assaults series: Part II - For professed allies

Here's the thing. I've seen men, and women, who claim to understand, pretend to be empathetic, profess alliance that they are all on the same side of the fight against sexual assaults, and suddenly come up with shockingly misogynistic remarks, and out of the blue, engage in rape apology. So for their benefit: this is what our side should be, so that should be clear now:

A) I agree that rape is really, really wrong, but .....

Wait!! Stop RIGHT there. Rape is wrong. Period. There is no need to qualify that statement. There is no need to provide exceptions to that statement. If what you are stating means anything different from this, you are not an ally in our fight, and you are not on the right side.

B) I am not talking about the brutal rapes like the Delhi one, but for 'some' rape cases, OR under 'certain' situations.... followed by victim-blaming.

Again, you need to stop!! There are no different kinds of rape to grade their depravity and extent to which they can be 'justified' based on circumstances. Because rape is rape, it is a violation of human rights, it is a crime, it is a depravity of the gravest kind. Quick facts:

1) No one deserves to be raped, irrespective of the circumstances.

2) No 'kind' of rape can/should be justified to any extent, so classifying/grading 'rapes' makes no sense.

C) I am not talking about women like 'you'/'us', I am talking about 'those' women, who engage in XYZ....

This is one of the most annoying things which I have seen many misogynists do, while feigning alliance. They intend me to take exceptional-izing me as a compliment. They intend me to not see the implicit supremacy in their patronization which blames women for 'certain' kinds of activities, the automatic interpretation of which is as follows: I am exceptional-ized under the assumption that I agree that I have no right to participate in those activities, lest I deserve to be assaulted or treated as 'less than': like 'those' women. The privilege behind this is hard to miss. Being treated as an equal shouldn't come with restrictions: If I need to 'qualify' for my basic rights by not engaging in certain types of activities, then those 'rights' have no meaning at all.

For all the men who know me and profess to care for me: There is no need to exceptionalize me. If you really care, what I need you to do is to acknowledge that no one, including women should be denied human rights, no matter what the circumstances are. What I need you to do is acknowledge that no victim of any sexual crime should be blamed for crime against hir. That is what is going to help. If you are not willing to do this, you are not helping. It doesn't matter if and how you care. Are you trying to say that you would blame the women you love/care about for crimes against themselves, if they were assaulted under circumstances similar to the ones you are trying to exceptionalize? If you wouldn't defend crimes against them, then why would you defend crimes against others? What do you know about that girl who was on drugs, or was out at night alone, or was partying with guys, etc. etc. and was raped, except for the fact that her rights were violated by a criminal? Why do you need to judge the victim at all and qualify whether or not she deserves to be raped? Why can't you simply accept that criminals should be punished for crimes and not victims?

Especially the privileged misogynists professing to be allies: This is the shit you need to stop doing. Now.

Related articles:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aahista chal zindagi - A new year treat

As a new year treat, I am sharing this beautiful poem written by an anonymous poet. I actually came across it on Whatsapp during last new year when it was being circulated. The forward says it's written by Gulzar but I couldn't trace any source to confirm this, and any original source to link this to, so I am just pasting it here - It doesn't matter who wrote it. It is as beautiful as it is touching: Aahista chal zindagi, abhi kai karz chukana baaki hai Kuch dard mitana baaki hai, kuch farz nibhana baaki hai Raftaar mein tere chalne se kuchh rooth gaye, kuch chhoot gaye Roothon ko manana baaki hai, roton ko hasana baki hai Kuch hasraatein abhi adhuri hain, kuch kaam bhi aur zaruri hai Kuch rishte ban kar toot gaye, kuch judte-judte chhoot gaye Un toote-chhoote rishton ke zakhmon ko mitana baki hai Tu aage chal main aata hoon, kya chhod tujhe ji paunga? In saanson par haqq hai jinka, unko samjhaana baaki hai Aahista chal zindagi, abhi kai karz chukana baki hai So how

Lechindi... nidra lechindi mahila lokam...

Lechindi.. nidra lechindi mahila lokam... These lines belong to one of the most popular songs of the old Telugu cinema, which are from the film 'Gundamma Katha' ( link ). The song is meant to be a spoof on the feminist movement which started in India before independence, basically about what the then generation perceived to be "role-reversal" ( which it is not - it is simply everyone having the freedom to define one's own 'role' ). I am currently watching the film and took a break to do this post. It would be utterly unfair for me to judge a movie of that time by current values/standards so I'm refraining myself. But I do want to write about how the people of that time (wrongly) understood what feminism and women empowerment were about. Admittedly, I'm not being very harsh as this song is a very beloved one in the Telugu heartland which comes from a very old time. It can be translated as something like this (I'm keeping only relevant parts

Guide to marital bliss - Find out what feminists fight against!!

If you've never really understood the evils of patriarchy ( link ), believing that feminists blow things out of proportion, may be you should open your eyes to this. Let me show you what's wrong. Below are the guidelines for women translated from a Telugu book on marital bliss which was being distributed at a wedding last week . We need to take this seriously - because our rituals are not evolving with our mindsets. The book advocates this code of conduct for today's women  to restore values in today's society of  Kalyug . We must not let anyone defend this sort of inhuman abuse under the name of Indian/Hindu culture/values . I'm giving scanned images of some of the guidelines along with the English translation of these guidelines. Adding my response to some of the guidelines  in red . 1. Every task performed by a wife must be upon the husband's order .  Are we talking about a wife or a slave here ? Or worse, the book doesn't see any need to